Get Home Safely: 10 Rules of Survival
In partnership with CTS, WFYI, and Trinity UCC (on the south side of Chicago), SALT has taken Miller's rules and created a short film to bring this critical information to an even wider audience and help save even more lives. Here are the rules:
10 Rules Of Survival if Stopped By The Police
1. Be polite and respectful when stopped by the police. Keep your mouth closed - remember that your goal is to get home safely.
2. If you feel that your rights have been violated, you and your parents have the right to file a formal complaint with your local police jurisdiction.
3. Do not - under any circumstances - get into an argument with the police.
4. Always remember that anything you say or do can be used against you in court.
5. Keep your hands in plain sight. Make sure the police can see your hands at all times.
6. Avoid physical contact with police officers. Do not make any sudden movements. Keep your hands out of your pockets.
7. Do not run even if you are afraid.
8. Even if you believe that you are innocent, do not resist arrest.
9. If you are arrested, do not make any statements about the incident until you are able to meet with a lawyer or public defender.
10. Stay calm and remain in control. Watch your words, watch your body language, and watch your emotions. Remember that your goal is to get home safely.
Please take a moment to share this film with your friends, your family, your community of faith, your school, etc., etc. We want this important message to go far and wide so that everyone might get home safely...
With peace and love,
The SALT Team